The SSGC Academy
We know the knowledge of our officers is key to the successful delivery of security services. It’s why SSGC is the first manned guarding company to enrol 100 of its officers into a reward-based personal development programme.
Our mission was simple: to develop a training system which allows all security officers to access bite-sized training during their quiet moments on shift. This creates a culture of personal development which will ultimately lead to a level of professionalism previously not seen ‘en masse’ within the industry.
In 2018 we introduced a formal learning objective set for all security officers. We aim to ensure that, within one years’ service, all security officers will be able to:
• Have good recall on correct patrolling
• Understand what a trespasser is and take the correct action
• Understand their powers of arrest in law
• Identify the points to prove to allow a successful prosecution for theft
• Know the anti-terror hotline
• Relay the latest advice on how to survive an active shooter incident
• Give examples of good customer service
Our results are amazing. We enrolled 241 delegates, all engaged on 11 modules of e-learning over a 12-month period. Of these, 85 per cent passed at least one module. Training is now embedded within our service delivery system and we now enjoy a culture of personal development.
We are extremely proud of our academy and our faith in this solution has been underlined by the Security Excellence Awards who listed us as finalists in 2018.